Standard Sign Book
- 2009 Revision
When compared to the old sign book, every sign detail was revised in 2009. These revisions range from minor changes
of dimensions, sign number callouts, note changes and layout changes to complete deletion, addition, and
replacement of sign details. A Key Sheet
has been included for referencing old sign details to the new sign book details.
Federal details accepted for use in Maryland are now included in the Standard Sign Book.
Maryland specific details which were the same as a Federal details are removed and replaced with the Federal
details. Several Federal details are allowed to be used in Maryland, but not on
SHA roadways. They contain the following note on the sign detail ''Sign shall not be used along state owned,
operated and maintained roadways''. In addition, there are a few Federal details that are not included in
this Standard Sign Book. These signs, along with Federal details with a red ''X'' thru the detail,
shall not be used on any public roadway in Maryland.
Signs have been added which have been designed and used by Maryland SHA and others over the years
and yet not formally distributed. All Maryland specific details and most of the Federal details which
are included in this book are to scale. If a sign has more than one size, it should be kept in mind that
not all sign sizes are simple proportional increase in dimensions. The border and insets of Maryland
specific details have been standardized to be similar to Federal details of the same size.
Appendices included in the past have been revised and additional appendices have been added.
The following is a list of the appendices:
- Appendix-Arrows: details for commonly used arrows.
- Appendix-Blanks: details of blank standards for sheet aluminum for standard sign sizes.
- Appendix-Grid: grid drawings of symbols used in a symbolic assembly.
- Appendix-Miscellaneous: grids and tables of pavement markings, series 2000 text information and additional guidelines.
- Clearview Font has been used for all positive contrast (light legend on dark background) standard Maryland specific signs.
- All warning signs or warning messages other than work zones or schools are detailed as requiring fluorescent yellow sheeting. Warning messages for school signs are detailed as requiring fluorescent yellow or fluorescent yellow-green sheeting, as appropriate. All work zone signs are detailed as requiring fluorescent orange sheeting, as appropriate.