Welcome to SHA's Highway Development Project Information pages. In addition to
project information, this application presents the current status of funded
highway transportation projects within Maryland.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
Long Range Planning coordination with local government and with the annual update to the State’s 20 Year Highway Needs Inventory.
The Highway Needs Inventory serves as a basis for setting priorities for major capital improvement projects within the Maryland Department of Transportation’s (MDOT) six year Consolidated Transportation Program (CTP). Once the top priority projects from across the state are selected and approved by the Governor, they are included in the Final CTP and submitted to the General Assembly for budget approval.
The State's Highway Development process involves four phases of project activity.
Each phase must be approved and receive funding before work begins on that phase
- Planning Phase (which takes roughly 30 to 36 months from Funded Year to
- Engineering Phase (which takes roughly 18 to 36 months from Funded Year to
- Right-of-Way Phase (which may take from 6 to 18 months from Funded Year to
project clear for construction. Actual completion of all acquisitions may take
longer. This phase may begin at any point during the Highway Development
- Construction Phase (which takes roughly 1 to 3 construction seasons from Funded
Year to completion).
WHAT PROJECT INFORMATION IS DISPLAYED?
The project information presented on the following web pages represent only those
projects that are used to develop the CTP for SHA funding. Information on other
projects such as Minor System Preservation is not available on the web site at
this time. That includes projects such as resurfacing, minor intersection
improvements, sound walls, sidewalk retrofit program, streetscapes, traffic
signing lighting and signalization, noise barrier, bridge rehabilitation and
Enhancement Projects (transportation-related community amenities managed by SHA
for project Sponsors).
Other major projects are not included on this page, but have their own web links.
Those projects links are listed here:
HOW DO I FIND A PROJECT?
To find a project:
- Select a project on the map below
- Select Projects Advanced Search to find project(s) and event(s) that match your criteria (County, Street),
- Select Business with SHA to find information on reference or design standards.
- Select Public Meetings to view the upcoming project meeting schedule.